From psy, to prog, to tech and uplifting, 2013 has been an absolutely phenomenal year for trance.
All this is due to skilled producers like Angry Man, Will Atkinson, ReOrder and many more, who’ve made the task of compiling this list quite the challenge. Many tracks were considered, and then reconsidered and then reconsidered again. Nevertheless, after nearly a week of listening, relistening and countless changes, I’m happy to present what are, in my opinion, 2013’s musical highlights.
Let’s take it from the top, shall we?😀
01. Mac & Monday – Here Comes The Sound (Original Re.Edit) [Borderline] [TRACK OF THE YEAR]
- Simon Patterson – Brush Strokes [Who’s Afraid Of 138?!]
- Peter Plaznik – The Experiment [Discover DARK]
- Sound Apparel – Sanctum [Pulsar]
- Binary Finary – The Annex [Future Focus]
- Vlind – Distorted Anger [Monster Digital]
- Jase Thirlwall – Ram Raid [Mental Asylum]
- ReOrder – Sky Harbour [Monster Digital]
- Bowdidge & Taylor – Unstable [Mental Asylum]
- Armin van Buuren – Communication (Part 3) (John Askew Remix) [Armind]
- Arctic Moon & Bryan Kearney – Dreamers & Dreams [Future Sound Of Egypt]
- Federation – Quiero [Perfecto Fluoro]
- Existone – In Search of Light [In Trance We Trust]
- Function C & Luke Terry – Stratosphere [Monster Digital]
- Lostly ft. Roberta Harrison – These Streets [Discover]
- Fictivision vs. C-Quence – Symbols (Will Atkinson 5000 Remix) [In Trance We Trust]
- The Infinity Project – Feeling Very Weird (Astral Projection Remix) [TIP Records]
- Angry Man – Mescaline [Perfecto Fluoro]
- Dave Leyrock – High Stakes (Harmonic Rush Remix) [#138]
- Federation – New Religion (Manmachine’s ‘Feed The Club’ Dub) [Feed The Moth]
Electronica bonus : 21. Conjure One & Leigh Nash – Under The Gun [S107]
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s focus on some other music related aspects.
Producer of the year : Will Atkinson
This shouldn’t come as a shock to anyone. Not only has Will delivered two huge remixes for established classics Symbols and Sunset on Ibiza, but between producing his originals and engineering for countless others, I genuinely have no idea where this man finds the time to also go on tour.
Label of the year : Monster Digital
Few imprints have had such an amazing year as Monster Digital. With the release of its 50th track this year, and the string of hits that predated and followed this milestone, it quickly climbed in the tops, and became one of the trance community’s favourites. Let’s see what they’ll be up to in 2014.🙂
Also worthy of being mentioned : Mental Asylum Records, Pulsar Recordings and Perfecto Fluoro.
Watch out for : Angry Man, Harmonic Rush
While the enigma that is Angry Man has pretty much appeared out of nowhere in late 2012, that was not an obstacle in his path. With the clever use of acids and epic melodies, he has created a signature sound and has established himself as one of THE artists of the moment.
Similarly, Harmonic Rush has brought a bit of freshness to the scene with his organic, oriental-like melodic accents. This Emirati producer shows great potential which is why I’m eager to see what we’ll get from him in 2014.
I’d like to take this opportunity to once again thank everyone for the follows, subscriptions, retweets, comments, everything. I’m genuinely grateful and hope you’ll enjoy visiting the site in the future. There are some pretty interesting changes planned for 2014, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.😀
As this is my last post for 2013, I’d like to wish you a Happy New Year, and I hope to see you in 2014.😀